Sunday, October 2, 2016

Homeless Ministry

20231129 Wednesday - My first day
Nervous a little bit but prayed for God's protection and wisdom.
Wisdom to hear every little nuanced word.  To speak from the heart not compromising my faith but speaking in love.

I have been thinking about doing this for a long time but a sense of urgency in the last 3 weeks. 
I would come up with a million excuses for not going out there; they would hurt me, they won't like the sandwiches, etc. But Holy Spirit was encouraging me to take the step.
A couple of things solidified my goal.  
1) Reading J.I Packers essay of John Owen's book, the Death of Death in Christ.  He said that the new gospel is "too exclusively concerned to be 'helpful' to man - to bring peace, comfort, happiness, satisfaction - and too little concerned to glorify God".  
I think about churches that are like a hamster wheel, where people are inside helping and ministering to each other, yet always having the same problems and seem never to escape the needing and  being helped cycle.  Even Straight Ahead has become stale.  Yes the kids need to hear the gospel, but sometimes it becomes more of a self help session.  Also Straight Ahead and these type of ministries are gated by red tape, rules and volunteers seeking their own glory.
2) Listened to a study by R.C. Sproul where he said that "to whom much is given, much is required".  I have heard that truth many times but it stuck with me now.  Donna and I have been richly blessed by God, in all ways.

The main thing is I just want to "Glorify God".
So I did a doing a preview drive to see where the homeless camps were.  They spread all over but the main concentration was on Main street.  (It's a good thing I scouted, because it made it easier to know where to go.
The important key "firestarter" was to buy the sandwich bread, honey ham, american cheese and mayonnaise. The night before I put the sandwiches together with a loaf of bread making 10 sandwiches. 

So Wednesday morning, laying in bed, I thought of excuses not to go out, but then I thought about the sandwiches I had made.  Who would eat them? - it will go to waste.

So I went to the gym early with Donna, and when we got home, I ate a little bit.
I told Donna, that I was going out for a while. She said ok, thinking that I was going to my Dad's to bring him food.

Driving down the Washington I passed by Lorenzi Park and saw a group of homeless talking.
I turned on Main St.  and saw a few homeless on the side.  There was a huge parking lot for Palm Mortuary so I parked.  I saw a security guard patrolling the property, and I asked her for permission to park there.  She said it would be ok for now.  She also told me that the homeless move every day from one side of the road to the other, because every morning each side of the sidewalk was washed down and cleaned.

My first encounter was with a black man lying on the sidewalk in a sleeping bag (on the dirt). I asked if he was hungry and he asked "what ya got?"  I said ham and cheese, he said no, that's ok.
I went up the sidewalk asking all if they were hungry and if they wanted a sandwich.  I gave each one a sandwich and a small candy bar (Holloween candy).  I was surprised that it was gratefully appreciated.
Talked to Dave, Alphonso, Ken Howser and a couple (the guys name was Jason I think), There was a guy with 2 pit-bulls (They were well groomed and healthy).
Ken Howser knew who God was and was happy when I said I would pray for him. 
And I asked if they needed anything.  Then Jason said that he could use a sleeping bag ( I told him I would see what I could do).  Dave and his friend (Isaac) needed Aleve and Ibuprofen. (I bought some to give to them. Dave also asked about his Social Security, "why were they taking out Medicare even though he is a veteran and can go to the VA for medical needs.

Walking back, I had one sandwich left.  I was passing the black man that didn't want the sandwich earlier.  He said, do you have another sandwich and that he wanted one.  I gave him the last one and I asked him if he needed anything, he asked for a cup of coffee, I smiled and said no, he smiled and said that's ok.

So this took about 40 minutes even spending a few minutes with each person.  I would have been able to give out 100 sandwiches.  
I told Donna my experience and she was quiet, surprised and generally wary.

20231130 Thursday - My second day.
Went to the gym by myself.  Donna was tired from working the night before.
This time I went to Lorenzi Park and handed out sandwiches there.  The people were generally wary and cautious about people coming up to them.  But they gladly accepted the sandwiches.  
Then I came upon John and Leticia (I think).  He asked what ministry was this and which church I was affiliated with.  I told him that I was doing this on my own.  As I was leaving, he said that I will be blessed for doing this (giving out sandwiches).  I cringed a bit.  I told him I already have my blessing, Jesus died on the cross for my sins.  
I had given out all the sandwiches and I realized that I didn't hand out "dessert" (the candy bars).  
When I went back to John, he said do you have a minute.  He pulled out a New King James Bible
and he proceeded to read the 23rd Psalm.  Then he read Leticia's favorite verse. (Psalm 91)
And then I read them my life verse 1 Cor 2:2 "I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ and Him crucified."
I told Donna about my experience and she was a bit more attentive.

20231201 Friday - My Third Day
Parked at the Palm Mortuary as usual.
Foremaster lane
Saw MOm and daughter
Saw group where leader waved me away, then later asked me back because he saw that I wasn't causing any harm and was giving away sandwiches.  He asked for him and his wife.  Talked to the guards
and they said I need to talk to Maurice for permission to minister inside Foremaster LN.
Talked to Rolinda,  a case manager and she said that they need help.

20231205 Tuesday - My Fourth Day
Parked at the Palm Mortuary as usual.
Saw Isaac.  Funny, he remembered me "I know you!" I asked how he was and he said my legs hurt.
I asked him "Do you remember what you wanted me to do for you last time I saw you?" He didn't remember.  I pulled out the bottle of Ibuprofen and gave it to him.  He was so surprised and he started crying.  He pulled my hand to his cheek and was rubbing it against his face. He said "I will never forget this".  I handed out the rest of the sandwiches.  Talked to Anthony who had diabetes.  He said someone stole his backpack which had his glucose meter so he can't check his blood sugar. He also lost his phone charger.  I will try to get him one of Donna's extra meter and I have lots of phone cords.
Also talked to Mohammed.  When I told I only have ham and cheese sandwiches, he yelled "F! pork, F! pork, F! ham.  I'm muslim and I don't eat pork."  I said oh I didn't know.  Next time I'll bring turkey".  I gave him a few Hershey's bar and he was happy. He also saw that I was handing out sandwiches. As I was about to leave he got up off of his chair and came up to me and said that what I was doing was good.  Even though I was a Christian, he said both he and I would get along.  He sat down and then I took a few more steps to leave, he got up off of his chair again and came up to me and touched my face and he pointed to his heart and then my heart and he nodded.
The office gave me Maurice's email and they said to email him of my request (to minister in Foremaster LN. Talked to a few people who needed men's clothing.  I will see if I have any extra, especially my Dad's clothing that are too small for him.

20231206 Wednesday - My Fifth Day
Went to Lorenzi Park.  Handed out the sandwiches in about 20 minutes.
Walked from the parking lot by the basketball courts and made a circle and even skirted past the lake.
The best part - I had to wait for a bunch of geese crossing in front of me as they walked to the water, too funny.  One lady didn't take a sandwich but I'm sure if I see her again, she will accept one.
Nothing memorable today, except maybe a guy about 18-19 whose side of his face was covered with grass clippings, suggesting that he slept directly on the ground. Every single person I gave sandwiches to were so grateful and humbled.  Some almost seemed embarrassed to take food, but they were very hungry. I made it a point to say "no problem, God bless you" and then walk away.

20231207 Thursday - My Sixth Day
Parked at the Palm Mortuary as usual.
This time walked passed Foremaster Ln and handed out sandwiches closer to Las Vegas Blvd.
Talked to a few men.  As usual they were grateful and kind.  They showed me where the Catholic Charities and Salvation Army were.  I walked to the Catholic Charities and talked to the secretary and asked about volunteering (the Renewing Hope program).  She gave a paper with the phone number 702  385 2662.

20231209 Saturday - My Seventh Day.
Did a drive around.  Went to a camp on Washington around the 15 Fwy.  
Gave sandwiches to a couple, a wife and her husband (who was sleeping or out). She was young.
Talked to Jordache(maybe not his last name.  We talked about the shelter and then he asked me to go around the corner to give a sandwich to a lady but she wasn't there. (Her camp was well away from everyone else.  I asked Jordache about his living condition. He said he lives under a tarp and on blankets.  I asked if he could use a sleeping bag.  He said yes and was appreciative.
I crossed the street and talked to Will a nice black man. He thanked me for handing out sandwiches and when I said I would pray for him, he said "Nothin wrong with that!".  Also talked to James.  As I was passing out sandwiches a group of 4-5 cars stopped and hispanic men and women started handing out care packages.  I asked them if they were part of a ministry and they said no. I guess they were doing this out of a kind heart, nice! Driving back I had stopped to give my last 2 sandwiches to the guys on Rancho and Washington.  Talked to Harold, Monet and Tomaric(?)  Harold said he won't get social security for another 7 years.  He said he was 58 but looked sadly 68.  Tomaric was a black man of about 19-20.  He said that he had epilepsy and that his grandmother kicked him out because she couldn't handle his problem.  Monet was a woman about 24-25, she had short hair with blond streaks.  She was very talkative.  I asked her if she had a cell phone and she said yes and if she could give me her number. I said no.  She was surprised because nobody had every refused her number.  She was sorting a bunch new clothes and stuff from Wally World.  Packages of soup, underwear, socks, hygiene stuff.  It looked like a care package, but hopefully it wasn't stolen. When I was about to leave, Harold, said he was thinking of starting a Bible study.  I told him to start it and I'll be there. He tried to give his sandwich to a black man in a wheel chair, all covered up but the man refused. Lots to pray for.
 
20231211 Monday - My Eight Day.
Drove to Palm Mortuary but Main St was closed due to the funeral for NHP Michael Abbate.
So drove to the Lorenzi instead.  Handed out sandwiches as usual.  Met John and Leticia again playing cards, just exchanged pleasantries, but they were surprised I  remembered their names. I met Randy who was almost 65 and will be getting SS soon.  Met Albert, who was the black man in the wheel chair that Harold wanted to give his sandwich to.  He said at the time that he didn't need it and that Harold needed it more.  He said that he came from Chicago after being evicted when the place he was staying at got sold.  He came to Las Vegas to stay with his sister, but she was bed-ridden and was worse off than her.  His cell phone got broken and he had no way to look up contacts for him to stay with. On top of that, he was hit by a car.  He has pins in his pelvis and knees.  He was in the county hospital for 1 month. And he exhausted his SS for the next couple of months recovering.  He said he was an agnostic, he doesn't believe that God exists because of the state of the country. He recounted a story of being visited by an "alien".  I said could it be an angel, he said "Nah!" Then I asked if he knew the Gospel, and he said, "Yeah, I heard all that". Then I told him about the Holy Spirit and he asked me how do you know you have the Holy Spirit. I said, when you repent, think about Jesus Christ.  It's not something physical like a lightning bolt.  He said, "Hmm, I don't know".  

20231212 Tuesday - My Ninth Day.
Parked at Palm Mortuary and passed out sandwiches on both sides of Main St. Folks being kind and thankful.  You could see in their eyes how grateful they are.  Most are almost embarrassed to take the food.  I noticed that people who displayed mental illnesses (talking to themselves, flailing their arms and yelling, or just rocking back and forth) where almost normal when I would talk to them. They were polite and thankful.

20231216 Saturday - My Tenth Day.
Went to the Washington camp and just handed out sandwiches to the camp on the right side.
I parked my car and Jordache came up to me and said Hi and shook my hand.  Handed out a couple of sandwiches to two different ladies who had little mental issues. Met Josh (camped where the couple were there last time.) He offered his hand to shake and I shook it kind of hard and he pulled back and winced.  He said his hand was broken.  I could see that it was very swollen.  He was very personable, talking about his hand and where his home state was (Indiana).  Met Trina who was sitting on the curb.
She was telling me about her ex in her house along with 2 other people and they were making it difficult for her.  She was looking for a place to rent.  She had a bunch of chains on her neck and her nails were painted.  I think she wasn't homeless but just wanted to get out of the house.  Handed out sandwiches to couple on the rocks on Washington (she said that the sandwiches looked like they were made out of love, I said "yup") and handed out the last two to a lady underneath the bridge, but she only wanted one.  Hmmm, I figured that she would take both and save one for later.  But this the second time that they only wanted one.  I think they were being polite and also for me to give the other sandwich to another person.  Again a group of people stopped by and handed out care packages.  They said they had a business.
 
20231218 Monday - My Eleventh Day.
Parked at Palm Mortuary as usual.  This time I started on the other side, the left corner (opposite Palm Mortuary.  There was a lot of people gathered but I counted about 10.  Just right for the amount of sandwiches I had.  I started at the corner and handed them out.  Then I walked down. Everyone was grateful and some said Merry Christmas.  I actually had people come up and asked for sandwiches.
I met Zack.  He stood up from the ground and walked up to me.  He thanked me with a great smile. I asked his name. I had one sandwich left and I walked back to the other side of the street and I gave the sandwich to the man who had two pit bulls.  I was running across the street, so the pit bulls were agitated. They were huge.  Next time I'll make it a point to ask the man's name and the dog's names.

20231219 Tuesday - My Twelfth Day.
Went to Lorenzi. Traveled counterclockwise today, thinking I would see the group by the edge of the lake but they weren't there.  Met Mike and Kathleen, older couple.  Mike was hard of hearing but he accepted a sandwich. Kathleen declined but took the candy.  Met Albert and the Asian lady  (Alexander, she looked like a female but her head was shaved, so I don't know) who didn't want a sandwich last time.  Today she accepted but I think she took it for Albert.  But she did ask for a candy bar. Albert was talking about Harold and him yelling and cursing at everyone and always wanting to "kill" people since he was a marine. But Albert said that he wound never talk like that in front of me.  And yes, I have talked to Harold twice and he was very civil and polite, lol. Then met Glenn, the young guy with the Faith Lutheran sweatshirt.  Met Thomas who was on his bike but was hard of hearing. He kept thanking me for the sandwich and said "God bless you" twice.  Met the heavy set guy, Chris. I had met him before.  Met Angel, a young guy who was a little off but he took a sandwich and water. Then the Chris asked for water also.  Finally met Randy who had the big trash bin with all his belongings.  He said he just turned 65 and will going to get is SS. 
All in all it was a good outing.  Every single person was kind, polite and very thankful.

20231221 Thursday - My Thirteenth Day.
Parked at the Palm Mortuary as usual. Started with a few people in front of the Palm parking lot.
Met J.D. and Robin.  Very polite and thankful. And a couple of more fellows, Otto and Devin (I think).
Then went across the street and met Zach.  Met Eric and Christina (both had few teeth left).  Christina was lying on the ground and I soon as I gave her the sandwich, she started eating.  Then went back to the Palm side and met Oscar(Hispanic can't speak English well).  He had 2 pit bulls with him, "Sparky"-white and black and "China"-brown.  I handed out the 11 sandwiches, again all were very thankful and polite.  Said Hi to 3 Metro guys who were talking, they said Hi and were polite also.  Then I was getting in my car, the cleaning caravan was on the other side, Marshalls, street sweepers, sirens and all. 

20231225 Monday - My Fourteenth Day - Christmas
Prepared 24 sandwiches and 24 care packages (socks, Famous Amos, cheese and crackers). 
Donna also prepared coffee to take with us.
We first went to the park and found that the usual guys by the street were not there.  So we walked and we met Randy again (with the big trash bin).  He was preparing his stuff and we gave him the package and Donna gave him coffee.  He was so grateful that he gave Donna a self watering jar.  Met Glenn who was sleeping on a bed of cardboard. Also met John and Leticia again.  John gave me a hug.  Also met Mike and Kathleen, who were so happy that we had coffee.  Also met Lucas for the first time, around 18-19 just got out of rehab for a couple of days but he's trying to get back in.  We drove by Harold but he wasn't there.  We drove to the homeless camp on Washington but the right side had been cleaned out, so Jordache wasn't there anymore.  Then drove across the street but saw that there were already people there handing out food and coffee, so we went towards Main St.  We parked at the Palm parking lot, and crossed the street.  We started handing out the rest of our packages.  The people were greatly appreciative and the coffee was such a big hit.  Then when Donna was going back to the car to get more coffee, the guard told her that she couldn't park there. So she parked across on the road next to where we were handing out stuff.  A car came by and started handing out muffins, seemed more than 3 dozen and some coke.  Went back to the Palm parking lot and gave the guard the gift card I had bought for her.
Overall was a good day.  Again, everyone was so grateful and kind. Even the guard said thank you, I guess begrudgingly.  But all Glory to God.  It was wonderful that Donna went with me.  We will see about purchasing a coffee dispenser so we can carry it as we walk along.

Matthew 6:3-4
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

20240104 Thursday - My Fifteenth Day.
Haven't visited since Christmas.  Just recovering from the holidays and Donna was very sick (flu, coughing, fever).  I was sick for a few days (I think it was allergies/weather).  Today drove to Main St and parked at Palm.  Gave a sandwich to Philip (Hispanic in the Palm lot.)  Then walked down towards Las Vegas Blvd, towards Foremaster Lane.  They were in the process of cleaning the other side of the road. One of the guys recognized me from before and he knew he was going to get a candy bar. I had 15 sandwiches this time and gave them out in less than 20 minutes.  I finally met a guy who was mean.  He was an Asian guy with a mask.  I asked him if he was hungry.  He didn't respond so I asked him if he wanted a sandwich.  He yelled and told me to "Get the F#$!# out of here".  I raised my hand and said "Ok, ok", and I walked down the street.  Every one else was kind and polite and thankful. A lady/girl ask me who made the sandwiches, I said "I did; it was made with love".  She laughed. 

20240109 Tuesday - My Sixteenth Day.
Visited the camp off of Washington and the freeway.  Went on the side where most of the people were.  Handed out sandwiches with no incidents, everyone thankful and kind.  I talked to Tanisha who was in a big tent.  He said that her boyfriend, Lamont, was down at  the Salvation Army taking a shower.  We had a pretty long talk about the state of the homelessness in Las Vegas.  She said that the city shows the face of the homeless as people who look drunk, mentally challenged, yelling and flailing their arms.  She said that a lot of the homeless are musicians and teachers.  She said that all through her life she has had problems with finances.  I noticed she had a long blond wig, painted nails and faux silver jewelry.  She said that God has been waiting to deliver them from their state.  Lamont says it's likes being "pregnant", it'll get better one day, just waiting.
 
20240112 Friday - My Seventeenth Day.
Visited Lorenzi. Very cold night previously.  Saw some of the usuals.  Randy, I got more of his information for the fishing license.  He was under a lot of blankets when I saw him, maybe I woke him up.  Saw John and Leticia but John had just bought groceries and didn't want any sandwiches.  Saw Mike and Kathleen, gave them sandwiches and a bottle of ibuprofen. They were very grateful.  Saw Glen and also gave him a bottle of pain-reliever and a sandwich.  Saw Alexander, but she didn't want a a sandwich.  I asked her about Albert and she said he might be visiting his sister.  After roaming the park, I had 4 sandwiches left so I went to the Washington camp.  The small camp was virtually empty so I went to the other side and found a cluster of 3 men.  I got out and gave them the sandwiches and they took the last one for a female in one of the tents.  As I was driving back, an old woman tried to stop me, but I had no sandwiches left.  So I waved at her and vow to give her a sandwich next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment