Saturday, June 27, 2015

Portfolio1 - 47Brighton Terrace

Growing up in the Philippines and then moving to a new country, much less America, was fraught with fear and anxiety for a young kid.  But our family home at 47 Brighton Terrace soothed and allayed my fears  as I learned about life, friendship and sports in these united states.  
Brighton Terrace was a short street of row houses that were similar in size and shape and distinct only by color. The street was on a hill and my house stood towards the bottom. It was a nondescript  gray and white skinny duplex with large living room windows that faced the street.   The dining room flowed from the living room and right across was the kitchen which was separated by a window wall where food and conversations were often passed.  The bedrooms were in the back and mine was in the left side corner with two windows with a backyard view.
There was a finished basement with a full kitchen and bathroom where many a day and night were spent hanging out with friends.   The lot was rectangular with a sloping side and backyard  and during winter provided a great sled track.  The home was important because of its location.  Kids around the neighborhood would gathering in front of my house and play.  Even as I was doing my chores or practicing the piano, the constant sqwauking and giggling of kids playing, made me feel like a caged bird needing to escape, which left the chores halfheartedly done and the piano practice cursory.  The house also served as a meeting point where we assembled to plan our next sports activity.
 What I cherish most about the home was how it brought me many friends where true, deep relationships were forged with  no self-pride, pretenses or racial bias.  We were all from different cultures but holding no notions of self importance.  Mike and Anthony,  brothers three years apart,  were kids of Italian immigrants and my constant playmates.  Their father was hilarious as he told stories about life in Italy, with his thick Scicillian accent, which I found hard to understand but  enjoyed nonetheless.  There was  a Chinese kid next door named Henry  who was a bit younger  than most us .  He was a skinny kid, not very athletic but he had one important asset.  He had a 16 year sister who had lots of friends and on hot summer days would wear the skimpiest of bikinis as they lounged around their backyard pool.  My friends and I made spying on them a spectator sport as we looked out my bedroom window hoping not to get caught.    John was another friend who lived on the next block.  He was a Portuguese kid, thickly built with curly black hair, and always a source of comical entertainment, trying hard to fit in but always making a fool of himself.  We loved him! 
Then there was Debra who lived a few houses up and across the street.  She was kind of chubby but had a very pretty exotic face.  Any time her parents were gone, she would always invite me up to here room.  Either I was naive or just plain stupid, but I always refused. I knew in my head and heart that it was probably a bad idea.  Although we  were all  young, there were definitely stirrings of sexual feelings and awareness.   Lisa, short cute and blonde, lived on the next block  and our backyards shared a common chain-linked fence. We would spend hours along the fence with our arms hanging over  talking amid the laundry line of sheets and clothes flapping and fresh linen scent wafting around us.  However, during high school she became a cheerleader and our interests went separate ways and we lamented as we signed each other's yearbook at how we drifted apart when once we were so close.
Mark Ver Sprill who lived up the street and around the corner was my best friend.  We shared a common interest  in sports music and girls.  We were partners in crime in almost everything and leaders in promoting our sports activities.  It seemed that playing sports was in his life's blood and he tranfused that love into me.    
The beauty of living in the east coast was the distinct change of seasons.  As the seasons went, so did our sports activities.  Summer brought baseball.  School was out, which in itself was sheer joy, the sun as beading down relentlessly, days were humid, sweltering and sticky, but you couldn't find a kid inside. 
Fall in Irvington ushered in the vibrant change of colors. Trees displayed the hues and nature's color pallete. Bright  orange was the dominant shade with touches of yellow ochre and copper complected  leaves.   Oak trees, that had not yet received the signal that it's fall, created a deep green canvas background that exposed the brilliant colors.
Fall also brought about football which is inherently dangerous sport where immovable objects collide and bodies get battered and pain was a foregone conclusion.  Tackle football on concrete was the norm  and torn pants, bruised knees and ripped shirts kept moms busy at their sewing machines and merthiolate  at the ready.
Winter arrived with its gray dark days and freezing temperatures stung our little faces and the sport was street hockey, our favorite.  Endless hours of playing didn't make us markedly better but we didn't care.  We were just happy shooting the ball around.  I was the goalie, a position I loved,  because it was the most important defensive on the team.  I fashioned goalie pads out of old foam couch seats but constant use made them tear and shred around my pants.  Blocker pads were made out hard cardboard and duct taped around my forearms.  Masks were optional but black eyes and head contusions warranted them.

Looking back at my life, I know that my days growing up on Brighton Terrace .   I'm not sure that any other place would have been a perfect teacher for preparing me for the life in this country.  There were ranges of emotion that filled my childhood from euphoria of stopping a breakaway or the despondency of seeing a girl you liked going out with another kid, the contentment of sitting on the stoop telling stories that were half truths, lots of lies but always believable.  The house was more the roof or a shelter  from the heat and cold.  As a kid from the Philippines It was the perfect teacher on how life is lived in the United States.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment